The original co-payment measure announced in the 2014-15 Budget will no longer proceed. The Government will implement a new optional co-payment, with additional protections for patients.
- $5 Medicare rebate cut for general patients
- Indexation freeze on Medicare Benefits Schedule for GP, specialist, allied health, optometrist and other services extended to July 2018
- From 19 January 2015, Level B consultation must last at least 10 minutes
- Rebates for consultations lasting less than 10 minutes slashed to $11.95
- Doctors will be allowed to collect fee of up to $5 from general patients
- No rebate cut for children younger than 16 years, veterans, aged care facility residents, pathology and diagnostic imaging services, and bulk billing incentives for these patients will remain
for more information on these changes and changes to the MBS schedule click here